CBS NY Master Studio List, New And Updated…1937- Present
First compiled by David Schwartz in April 1999, here is the updated list with some new revisions on July 26, 2016. Enjoy, comment, share and SAVE! -Bobby Ellerbee
CBS Studios 1937 – 1964
Radio Studios, 485 Madison Ave. The original radio studios were number 1 through 6. Soon after, Studios 7, 8 and 9 were added with Studio 9 becoming the network’s major news studio. Eventually the studios in the building were numbered 1-20. Studios 31, 32 and 33 were also at 485 Madison, but were shortwave studios built to receive reports from overseas. The last radio broadcast from 485 Madison was July 25, 1964, and radio operations were moved to the new CBS Broadcast Center the next day.
Radio Studios, CBS Radio Building, 49 East 52nd Street. Just around the corner from the 485 headquarters building, at 49 East 52nd, CBS had a second radio building which had more studios that were numbered 21 through 29. Studio 21 was in the basement, 22 on the second floor, with 23 and 24 on the third floor. 25 and 26 were on the fourth floor and 27, 28 and 29 were on the fifth floor.
Studio 31 & 32 485 Madison Ave., Shortwave radio studios converted to TV Studios 1948-1964. This is where ‘Douglas Edwards With The News’ originally began, then moved to Leiderkranz Hall and later Studio 41.
Studio 41 to 44 Grand Central Studios, 15 Vanderbilt Avenue (3rd floor) used from the 1937 to 1964. Only 41 and 42 were production studios…43 and 44 were “control studios” used for switching, telecine and video tape.
Studio 50 (Ed Sullivan Theater) 1697 Broadway. CBS leased this for radio in 1936, and it was called Radio Playhouse #3. First radio show was “Major Bowes Amateur Hour”. First TV show was “Arthur Godfrey’s Talent Scouts”, December 6, 1948.
Studio 51 (Maxine Elliott Theater) 109 West 39th Street. Used by CBS 1944-1959 This was CBS’s first conversion of a theater from radio use to television use. Ed Sullivan’s “Toast Of The Town” was the debut show on June 20,1948.
Studio 52 (New Yorker Theater) 254 West 54th Street. Used by CBS from 1949 until 1975. Later became “Studio 54” nightclub.
Studios 53 to 56 Leiderkranz Hall, 111 East 58th Street. Used from 1950 to 1964.
Studio 57 (Peace Theater) 1280 Fifth Avenue
Studio 58 (Town Theater) 851 Ninth Avenue
Studio 59 (Mansfield Theater) 256 West 47th Street
Studio 60 (Lincoln Square) 1947 Broadway
Studio 61 (Monroe Theater) 1456 First Avenue CBS-Edge of Night (1956)
Studio 62 (Biltmore Theater) 261 West 47th Street
Studio 63-64 205 East 67th Street (DuMont /Metromedia Channel 5 studios 1 and 5) CBS. Shows from here were ‘First Hundred Years’ (1948), ‘Bilko’ (1955-56), ‘Edge of Night’ (1956 -1960) Wrestling show (studio 5) (Dumont, 1955),
Studio 65 (Hi Brown Studios) 221 West 26th Street
Studio 71 (Radio Studio 1) 485 Madison Ave.
Studio 72 (RKO 81st Street Theater) 2248 Broadway
CBS TV Studios-1964 to mid 70’s
Studio 41-46 Broadcast Center. Began operation in 1964, radio on July 26; TV in August or September.
Studio 50 (Ed Sullivan) 1697 Broadway
Studio 51/54 (Hi Brown Studios) 221 West 26th Street
Studio 52 (New Yorker Theater) 254 West 54th Street. Used until 1975.
Studio 53 (Monroe Theater) 1456 First Ave
Studio 54 (Cort Theater). Used for the late night Merv Griffin show.
CBS TV Studios Mid 70’s-present
Studio 41-46 Broadcast Center
Studio 50 Ed Sullivan Theater
Studio 51 New York Production Center, 222 East 44th Street (MPO, later EUE/Screen Gems)
Studio 52/53 Hi Brown Studios (also called Studio 51/54) unknown when numbering changed.
Studio 54 was originally a film studio. Patty Duke Show (ABC,1963-5) Bilko (CBS ,1956-9)
Studio 52 402 East 76th Street (used in the 1980’s)
CBS Radio Playhouses
CBS Radio Playhouse #1 242 West 45th Street
CBS Radio Playhouse #2 251 West 45th Street
CBS Radio Playhouse #3 1697 Broadway (became Studio 50)
CBS Radio Playhouse #4 254 West 54th Street (became Studio 52)
CBS Radio Playhouse #5 109 West 39th Street (became Studio 51)
CBS Studio 51 from the 1970s aka “The New York Production Center” at 222 East 44th Street, is EUE/Screen Gems (1973 to Present) Prior to 1973—it was used by MPO productions (as film stage, though it was used sporadically for videotape work). EUE/Screen Gems purchased the studio from MPO, and installed Fernseh KCU-40 video camera chains early 1970s, and it has been used for video since then.
CBS and ABC studios located at 205 East 67th Street, were actually the Dumont (Metromedia) studios.
CBS studio based at 2248 Broadway ultimately became Teletape “Stage 2” early 1970s (Sesame Street, Electric Company).
Himan Brown Studios (W. 26th St.) was used for both film and video production at various times, the Patty Duke Show (ABC, 1963-5) was filmed there as well as Bilko (CBS, 1955-59-second season). Currently owned by All Mobile Video.
Biograph Studio NY (807 East 175th St, The Bronx) Studio had been abandoned, but was revived around 1967. Car 54 (NBC, 1961-3), East Side/West Side (CBS, 1963-4), and Naked City (ABC, 1958-63)—all are filmed shows. This studio was also known as “Gold Medal Studios” in the late 1950s. Studio was abandoned in the 1970s, and burned in 1980.
Filmways Studios NY (246 E. 127th St.–built in a former MTA transit garage building in the late1950s.) The Defenders (CBS, 1961-5), and The Doctors and the Nurses (CBS, 1962-5), Hawk (ABC 1966), and Trials of O’Brien (CBS 1965-6) (All filmed productions). Films shot there include Butterfield 8, The Godfather, The Wiz. Studio was demolished in the 1980s.
Fox Movietone studios (460 W. 54th St at 10th Ave.) Two sound stages—the large one with a cyclorama and swimming pool under the deck. Three small scoring stages. UPI Movietone News operated in upstairs offices into the 1980s. Stages on ground floor operated as Fox until 1964, Manhattan Sound Studios until about 1968. Operated by F&B/CECO and Camera Mart (film equipment rental companies) in the 1970s and 1980s. Norby (NBC,1955), (strangely, shot on color film. Kodak was a sponsor) Adams Chronicles (PBS, 1976, recorded by EUE Video Services), Best of Families (PBS, 1977, recorded by Reeves Teletape). Later Sony Music Studios, demolished 2008. The original ‘Who Wants to Be a Millionaire’ was shot there in 1999 (at the time, ABC was contemplating purchasing the building). Notable films shot there: The Exorcist (1972), Kramer vs. Kramer (1979), Starting Over (1979), Sophie’s Choice (1982).
The Town Theatre at (either 840 or 851) 9th Ave was converted to a television stage and used by CBS, WNET-13 in the 1970s, and Teletape in the 1980s, Later Unitel. It was demolished and replaced by the Alvin Ailey Citigroup theater a few years ago.